Thursday, May 6, 2010

Paul Auster

I read Paul Auster's New York Trilogy during the fall. I only recently discovered my appreciation for the cryptic story "City of Glass." And have been reminded of it again and again more recently. I thought back to a story published in 2000 about a determined fan who approaches Auster much like a character would in one of his own novels.

On his way for his morning Espresso Paul Auster stopped in front of a flyer posted in his neighborhood. "To Mr. Paul Auster," it began. "I have been wandering up and down the Park Slope with a pack of Turkish cigars I bought for you, expecting to run into you. But it seems this method is not going to work. So if you read this message, could you please contact me," the man's name and e-mail listed at the bottom.

The flyers were posted all over Park Slope and Auster did reply. Through e-mail they arranged to leave the cigars at a local bookstore. Auster reported on the matter, "I appreciate the discretion of it."

The fan was a Turkish medical student, visiting New York City. He and Auster kept up regular contact through e-mail, and the Turkish fan disclosed that he too was secretly a published writer.


Here is the full story (subscription required)


No comments:

Post a Comment